At Knuma we want parents to enjoy their Huddle Bedside Crib and that means for our own peace of mind, that it is used safely.. Our bedside crib conforms to British Standards BS EN 1130 and is suitable for infants up to around 6 months in age.
There is an array of advice and we recommend all new parents to familiarise themselves with advice
from the NHS and the Lullaby Trust, see further down this article for links to their websites.
1. Unless directed otherwise by your doctor, following safe sleep advice and guidelines by placing the baby on their back to sleep or rest. Do not be tempted to place a baby on their tummy.
2. Please ensure that if the crib is being used as a standalone crib that the side is up and fully secured.
3. If the Huddle is being used as a bedside crib (or co sleeper cot) , we advise that the side should be raised with the zips up and fully secured whenever the baby or parents are sleeping. This prevents the pillows, covers or the parents stray flailing arms from entering the baby’s space while they sleep. It is important that the baby is not left unattended when the side is lowered.
4. Also, in co sleeping mode – ensure that the crib is firmly attached as close as possible to the bed with the secure straps provided. The 10 height settings should allow you enough options to enable the Huddles’ mattress and your own beds mattress to sit in alignment with each other.
5. Always read and follow the warnings and instructions provided with the Huddle. If you own a second-hand crib without the instructions, or have lost the instructions, you can email email@example.com and we will email or post you a copy.
6. Only use a Kuma Huddle branded mattress. This can be ordered separately from Knuma and Knuma stockists. Our mattresses are manufactured in the UK by the leading baby mattress manufacturer and are custom made, fitting the crib perfectly. Our mattresses are fully tested and comply with all UK safety standards. Mattresses bought elsewhere cannot always be guaranteed to hold the same safety certification.
7. Please do not place anything on top or underneath the mattress. Only cot sheets should be placed over the mattress and ideally, ensure that the sheets are cotton (organic cotton sheets made specifically for the Huddle are available to purchase on this site). Do not tilt the mattress.
8. Never use a bumper or padded sides with the Huddle as they may cause a suffocation risk. Also, do not add any padding, material or other around the mattress edge and between the parent or carer bed and the Huddle in an effort to avoid any change in surface height of the Huddle and the parent’s mattresses.
9. The Knuma Huddle does not have a tilting feature so do not modify or alter the crib in any way to tilt the crib at the baby’s head end. Knuma cannot accept liability for any modified cribs. Our cribs are tested solely for use as shown in the instructions for the 4 adaptions of the furniture.
10. When your child is able to roll, sit, kneel or pull itself up the Huddle should no longer be used as a crib, bedside crib or bassinet. This is usually at around the age of 6 months but differs from child to child. However, at this point the Huddle can be transformed into a desk and bench which can be used by your child for another 12 years!
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us and for further information regarding safe sleeping for you and your baby we recommend visiting the below websites for advice and guidelines;